From the plaque of…

From the plaque of the sculpture “Restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood” in Temple Square:

“On May 15, 1829, Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery went into the woods to inquire of the Lord concerning baptism. As they prayed, ‘a messenger from heaven descended in a cloud of light’ (Joseph Smith – History 1:68).

“The messenger was John the Baptist, who had baptized Jesus Christ in the River Jordon and was now a resurrected being. He laid his hands on Joseph and on Oliver and conferred upon each of them the Aaronic Priesthood. This priesthood, which had been absent from the earth for many centuries, includes the restored authority from God to baptize for the remission of sins.”

Scroll to Top