Saptapadi (Seven steps)
The bride and groom take seven steps forward together, symbolizing the beginning of their journey through life. These steps signify the guiding principles of life.
Each of these steps represents the vows made by the couple:
1. Together we will love, cherish and respect one another from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness or in health … forever.
2. Together we will create a home full of joy and laughter, where we find serenity and strength.
3. Together we will share a steadily deepening love, which grows in understanding and unselfishness.
4. Together we will embrace each other’s family as well as our own yet to come.
5. Let us have a measure of patience and forgive with grace.
6. Together we will develop a sense of value that we may care for people more than possessions, for honor more than honors, and for the dimensions of a home more than the details of a house.
7. Let us forever be best friends and partners, share each other’s ideas and ideals. The couple is now united and will pray for the blessings from God. The father-in-law offers the bride a sacred necklace.